Tuesday 4 October 2011

Give Me Athena, There's No Meaner

Just a quick post in praise of super-group Wild Flag, who remind me of some of the best and most passionate riot-grrrl loves of my youth. This is due in no small part to the presence of Carrie Brownstein and Janet Weiss of Sleater-Kinney, upon whom I once inflicted myself at a London gig. I was very, very gushy, and they were clearly highly uncomfortable and keen to be left alone. Wise, wise women.



I still have a signed Sleater-Kinney vinyl sleeve tacked up inside one of my cupboard doors, so that I can admire the ladies looking fine in Oregon-appropriate knitwear any time I want. Man, I used to make a real effort to dress as if I was on the 'You're No Rock and Roll Fun' single cover back in the day - hooded duffel coats, striped scarves, and knitted hats a-go-go. It is so nice when your icons (and their personal and musical styles) stand the test of time.

Hurray for Wild Flag, then! Long may they rock!

No comments:

Post a Comment