Monday 26 September 2011

Further Adventures in Fabric

I am continuing to love the time sink that is Spoonflower, and have yet to stop tinkering with various designs. In a slight change of pace, I have moved on from the more painterly themes I started out with, and am currently exploring scientific imagery. Medical scans, fractals, and images obtained using electron microscopes can make for some surprising pretty textiles designs. The three prints below, for example, are all based around microscopic photographs.

Butterfly-Wings-Created-at-the-Nanoscale-2

american-amber-ale-beer-under-a-microscope

allium_seale_epidermis_550

The middle one is my favourite. It has a kind of woven, almost folky feel to it. My only concern is that the pattern might be a wee bit small. The design might lose some of its impact when viewed from a distance. Here's what a yard of the fabric would look like:

amber_ale_microscope_print


Still cute to my eye - it could potentially work nicely as a kind of contemporary kilting fabric - but it undoubtedly loses something of its delicacy and nuance. I'm still playing, anyway, so I'll let you know how I progress.

No comments:

Post a Comment