Friday 23 September 2011

Wouldn't it be Nice if we were Younger?

The Guardian recently drew my attention to this super-cute duffel coat by Boden. I love the classic shape, the toggle detailing, the gorgeous colours, and the reasonable £60 price tag. I am just a bit gutted that it's only for children! I don't think there's much chance of me squeezing into the 13 - 14 years size. Waaah!


This little number got me browsing other kids' ranges for inspiration, and I must say that I am very jealous of the nation's youngsters. There is some truly lovely stuff around at the moment. At the risk of infantilizing myself, I have composed a list of five children's items that I would like to supersize.

  • Boys' Suede Boots by Joules, £49.95



I love these Chelsea-style booties, which come in chic, sandy-coloured suede with contrasting navy detailing. If I could get they in my size, I'd work them with a printed dress and some woollen tights.




This is a lovely item, reminiscent of certain Anna Sui pieces. I like its folky feel, autumnal palette, and button detailing. If I wasn't a great big grown-up, I'd aim for a 1970s vibe, and style this with a tan leather handbag and a pair of flat knee-high boots.




It's good to see the giraffe being represented - it's a more offbeat choice than the cute and cuddly creatures typically found on girls' clothes! I also really like that shade of grey, and think it would look great over a shirt. I could totally see this slotting into my wardrobe.




This, to my eye, is just gorgeous. The simplicity of the design is really refreshing - especially in a marketplace saturated with girlish, cutesy frocks. The pink is chic rather than saccharin, the Granddad collar is an unconventional choice, and the pin-tuck detailing in the front stops the minimalism from segueing into austerity. Bravo, Stella!


  • Boys' Jumper by Monsoon, £28



I think this is so cute! The shape makes it look almost like a cropped jumper from a women's wear collection, but I love it as an item for boys too - the colours are so zesty and happy! If I could find an adult version of this, I would rock it with straight-leg jeans and maybe the Joules suede Chelsea boots pictured above; I think it would be kind of a cool, laid back way to work the heritage trend.

So, it turns out that the price isn't the only enviable thing about kids' clothes. I just hope I can find adult pieces with the same attention to detail and sense of fun.

No comments:

Post a Comment